Sweet Potato Candy Recipe
Recipe for Sweet Potato Candy that is an ideal healthy option for homemade candy
1 pounds sweet potatoes
1 cup of sugar granulated
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar granulated
1/4 cup of water
1. Clean the sweet potato and then scrub it. Cook them in boiling water until tender; allow to cool. Peel then mash and run through a filter. Set aside.
2. In a pan on low heat, melt the sugar in the water. Cover and let it simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes to remove the crystals off to the bottom of the saucepan.
3. Uncover the syrup and cook it on medium heat until it reaches the stage where the syrup is firm (242 ° F) and until it is a solid ball that doesn’t flatten when removed from the cold water.
4. Incorporate the potato pieces into the syrup. Cook until the mixture is like the consistency of a paste. Remove from the heat and mix using an electric mixer at low speed until the mixture is cool.
5. Handly, roll pieces of paste into 1-inch sticks. Set them on a piece of board covered in wax paper. Let them hang dry on a hot dry place for up to up to 24 hours.
6. The next day, scrub the candies with the Glaze. Dry them once more. Wrap the individual candy candies with wax wrap or plastic wrap.
1. Boil sugar and water until that stage of threading (234 degree F). Syrup will spin a 2 inch thread when dropped off an empty spoon. Remove it from the heat and apply it with a pastry brush on the candy.
Numerous family legends suggest that this simple sweet, composed of just four ingredients, was an invention of the Depression era that was born out of thrifty ingenuity. However, it’s more likely potato candy came across in the South with Irish immigrants and then on tables as a treat that was reserved for special occasions such as the Christmas season or Thanksgiving. Strangely enough, the sweet doesn’t taste as sweet potato. In reality, it’s more similar to peanut butter Fudge. Sweet potato cooked in a pot is an emulsifier for almost the same amount of powdered sugar creating a sweet.
SWEET POTATO CANDY
One small sweet potato
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Between 1 and 2 pounds of confectioners sugar
1 cup of creamy peanut butter
Cut the sweet potato in half with a fork . Cook in a microwave on high until the sweet potato is soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cool completely. Take off the skin. Utilizing a potato masher, or in the bowl or a mixer equipped with a paddle attachment mix the potato until smooth. Add vanilla. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar one cup at a time and mix until a the dough is soft and slightly sticky develops. (It will be similar to the like cookie dough in consistency.)
The dough should be placed between two layers of waxed paper , sprayed with confectioners sugar. The dough should be rolled into a 9-x 12-inch rectangle , about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the dough out with peanut butter. Starting from the long end of the rectangle and rolling it into a long log with the waxed paper to form it. If the dough starts to stick to the paper, keep it in the fridge for five minutes. The dough should be wrapped in waxed parchment and chill for at least 2 hours. Cut the dough into 1/4-inch pieces. Serve.
Keep in an airtight container for up 3 days.
Southern Sweet Potato Candy Recipe
6 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
2 Cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
salt according to your taste
Clean the sweet potatoes then cut them into pieces.
The butter should be melted in a large skillet. Then, add the sweet potatoes that have been cut.
Mix the cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg, as well as salt. The sweet potatoes are covered with the mix of sugar and stir. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately one hour until the potatoes have “candied”. They should be soft but somewhat tough on the edges. The sauce should also become dark. It is necessary to stir it frequently during the cooking process. Mix in the vanilla before serving. Serve hot.
Baked Sweet Potato Candy Recipe
5 medium sized yams
8 Tbsp salted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 1 tsp ground nuts
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup of sugar granulated
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
The oven should be preheated until 350 F.
Rinse the yams.
Peel and cut the yams ( ensure they’re at least 1/8 inch in thickness.)
Put the yams in an oven dish that measures 9×13.
Put the butter in the pot of a medium size and melt it on medium-high temperatures.
When the butter has melt, sprinkle it with brown and white sugars ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg ground ginger along with ground clove.
Shut off the stove and mix the ingredients. and then add the vanilla extract.
Pour the mixture of candied over the yams. Try to cover all the yams in the mixture with the candied mix.
Then, cover the bake dish with foil and put the baked yams into the oven for 30 minutes.
Take the yams off the oven and then baste them in the candied mix.
Then, cover the yams and bake them for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Take the yams out of the oven and allow them to sit for approximately 10 minutes prior to serving.